Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Debate/Åä·Ð] (NYT) Why Should Toys Come in Pink and Blue?
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  15-01-04 10:47

Why Should Toys Come in Pink and Blue?
The gendered marketing of toys seems more acute than ever. Princesses and Lego action figures continue to vie for the affection of girls and boys without much overlap. Some companies are now targeting ¡°the girl warrior¡± with pink guns, bows and other war games that parents have tolerated uneasily among their sons. How important are gender-neutral toys to breaking old roles? Should we encourage more inclusive marketing to the expand options of what¡¯s fun and acceptable for children and parents?
* gendered = ¼ºº°(¼ºÀû Ư¡)À» ¹Ý¿µÇÑ/ acute = °Ý½ÉÇÑ, ±Ø½ÉÇÑ; (Áúº´ÀÌ) ±Þ¼ºÀÇ/ action figure = ¿µ¿õÀ̳ª ij¸¯ÅÍ ÀÎÇü/ vie (with sb for sth) = ´ÙÅõ´Ù, °æÀïÇÏ´Ù/ overlap = (°ü½É, Áö½Ä, Ã¥ÀÓ µîÀÇ) °øÅëºÎºÐ/ gender-neutral = ¼ºÁ߸³ÀûÀÎ/ inclusive = Æ÷°ýÀûÀÎ, Æø³ÐÀº

¾ÆÀ̵é°ú ºÎ¸ð´ÔµéÀ» À§ÇØ º¸´Ù ´õ Æ÷°ýÀûÀÎ (¼ºÁ߸³ÀûÀÎ) ¸¶ÄÉÆÃÀ» ÅëÇÑ Àå³­°¨ ½ÃÀåÀÇ ¼±ÅÃÀ» ³ÐÇô¾ß Çϳª¿ä?

1. How Did Toys Get Stereotyped by Sex?
In the 1975 Sears catalog, toys came in many hues for boys and girls, and science kits and kitchen sets showed them working together.

2. Toy Makers Are Listening
The days of applying a gender to a toy are declining. Toy manufacturers have noticed this trend and are making changes.

3. Start With Sexist Management
Yesterday¡¯s gender stereotypes are about as beneficial to 21st century kids as tobacco and sugar.

4. Stand By What Your Child Wants
In all areas, including toys, parents have the power and responsibility to have discussions with their children about peer pressure and commercial marketing.

5. Girls Want to Save the Day, Too
Marketers and toy manufacturers time and time again will choose a stereotype and argue that that is what girls buy and want.

Sample Essay

Toy Makers Are Listening to Consumers About Gender Options

Since I've been working in the toy business for more than 25 years, I am often asked, "What should I buy my daughter or son?" My usual response is something like, ¡°Does your daughter like Hot Wheels? Or does your son like activity or cooking toys?¡± The days of applying a gender to a toy are declining.

Toy manufacturers have noticed this trend and are making changes on some of their traditional ¡°boys or girls¡± toys that they feel will make them attractive to the opposite gender. For example, after some controversy, the Easy-Bake Oven introduced a black and silver version – although I¡¯d like to debate with whoever declared the purple oven a ¡°girl¡± color. LEGO introduced its LEGO Friends line to attract more girls, to resounding success. Initially, the line was criticized for trying to appeal to girls by using pink and purple – a color palette associated with a "girls¡± toy. Was it successful by using these colors? Yes. But there¡¯s more to it – the line succeeded because LEGO Friends incorporated interests that girls found attractive, such as a horse stables set.

Some of the gender bias is created by parents. We paint our children's rooms pink or blue, refer to dolls as girls' toys and action figures as boys' toys. However, what really is the difference? We love to pick on Barbie for being too skinny and for having an unrealistic body type (forgetting it¡¯s a toy!), but ignore many of the ¡°beefed up¡± bodies in the action figure aisle that are equally impossible to achieve.

Every child grows up in a different environment, with their own unique personality and interests. When it comes to toys for children, it's not one size fits all. Toy makers have recognized this and consumers will continue to see the gender bias break down within the toy category. Parents need to continue to be at the forefront of this shift.