Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Debate/Åä·Ð] (NYT) Can Gaffes on the Campaign Trail Be Fatal?
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  15-06-06 20:08

Can Gaffes on the Campaign Trail Be Fatal?
The mistakes and the missteps on the campaign trail have started, and we¡¯ve only just begun. Can gaffes be fatal to a candidate¡¯s electability? And what¡¯s the best way to orchestrate a comeback?
* gaffe = (°ø½ÄÀûÀÎ ÀÚ¸®, »ç±³ ¸ðÀÓ¿¡¼­ ¹üÇÏ´Â) ½Ç¼ö/ misstep = ½Ç¼ö; À߸øµÈ Á¶Ä¡/ campaign trail = ¼±°Å À¯¼¼ ÄÚ½º(¿©Çà)/ fatal = Ä¡¸íÀûÀÎ/ electability = ¼±Ãâ °¡´É¼º/ orchestrate = Á¶Á÷ÇÏ´Ù

(Ä·ÆäÀÎ) ½Ç¼ö°¡ Ã⸶ÀÚÀÇ ¼±Ãâ °¡´É¼º¿¡ Ä¡¸íÀûÀÏ ¼ö ÀÖ³ª¿ä? Àç±â(º¹±Í)¸¦ Á¶Á÷ÇÏ´Â ÃÖ¼±ÀÇ ¹æ¹ýÀº ¹«¾ùÀΰ¡¿ä?

1. Most Gaffes Don¡¯t Matter
My own famous gaffe — the "I have a scream" speech — had little to do with the demise of my campaign. I was a flawed and undisciplined candidate.

2. The Lesson Learned: Be Authentic
If you¡¯re afraid to show voters your true self, then you shouldn¡¯t be running for office. If you slip up, own it and move on.

3. When They Are Symbols of a Weakness
If you¡¯re going to gaffe, gaffe in your strong suit. Which, of course, is where you are least likely to gaffe.

4. They Can Be Fatal, Especially Nowadays
The lethality of a gaffe is how much attention it receives, which in today¡¯s media landscape is pretty much all the attention in the world, all the time.

5. A History of Errors on the Campaign Trail
Gaffes are fatal when unconnected variables — press reaction, rival candidates¡¯ reactions, the state of the campaign, the candidate¡¯s determination to fight on — conspire to make slogging through impossible.

6. It¡¯s All About the Narrative
The danger for today¡¯s candidate isn¡¯t a one mistake toppling the story of a life¡¯s journey. It¡¯s a series of mistakes creating a bad alter ego.

Sample Essay

The Lesson Learned From Political Gaffes: Be Authentic

In themselves, political gaffes are necessary. They reveal clues about a candidate¡¯s true self. Indeed, they can be so valuable that sometimes they are choreographed. Recall Hillary Clinton's strategically shed tears, or Mitt Romney¡¯s messy hair. Yet, when an endearing blunder gets in the wrong hands, it becomes deadly. Recall my entire campaign.

While I hesitate to draw on my own experience for fear of sounding like a whiner, my 2010 U.S. Senate campaign is chock full of anecdotes. Most of what was thrown at me during my campaign were smears. Smears are not the same as gaffes. Smears are the coward¡¯s tool used to render someone toxic and untouchable. A gaffe, on the other hand, is not in-itself bad. A gaffe is simply a slip-up that requires damage control. It can be a minor mishap (Obama's talk about 57 states) or a creepy gesture (Biden nuzzling the Defense Secretary¡¯s wife on national television). It¡¯s what happens in the echo chamber that determines the fate of a gaffe.

Fortunately, direct communication between a candidate and the electorate diffuses the echo-chamber. An authentic candidate and a discerning electorate can render it ineffective altogether. ¡°Authentic¡± and ¡°discerning¡± are the operative words here, and both require taking risks.

Take, for example, my campaign¡¯s biggest gaffe-turned-fatal blunder -- that stupid ad. I hated the script from the very beginning and didn¡¯t want to record it. The ad was leaked to the press. I should have put my foot down and said no to my consultants.

Going forward, hopefully other candidates will learn from my mistakes. The biggest lesson is to be authentic. Don¡¯t let consultants create an image of who they think you should be. If you¡¯re afraid to show voters your true self, then you shouldn¡¯t be running for office. If you slip up, own it and move on.

The onus also falls on the electorate. Gaffes and smears wouldn¡¯t be effective if people weren¡¯t easily riled. Don¡¯t be so quick to grab a pitch fork and chase a candidate just because someone said he is a monster. Be less visceral and more discerning with the news. Whenever you read something that is clearly intended to malign a candidate, question the motives.