Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Headlines] (HL-»ç°Ç/»ç°í/¹ý·ü) Meet the First American to Get a Gender Neutral ¡®X¡¯ License
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  17-07-16 05:33

Washington DC was the first city in the United States to issue gender neutral driver¡¯s licenses and identification (ID) documents. The new policy went into effect June 27. It allows people to choose ¡°X¡± as their gender if they do not identify as either male or female. Previously, Washington DC residents seeking a driver¡¯s license or identification card had to choose ¡°M¡± for male of ¡°F¡± for female. This has also been the requirement in other American states. Earlier this month, Oregon became the first state to approve the ¡°X¡± choice for people seeking a driver¡¯s license or ID. Oregon¡¯s new policy took effect July 3. Many countries allow people to choose a neutral gender on official documents, including passports. These include Australia, Germany, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan and New Zealand. The U.S. government does not issue passports for people who identify as neither male nor female. The new policies in Washington DC and Oregon allow people to report gender identification themselves. They no longer have to have a doctor or social worker confirm their choice. The first person in America to receive a gender neutral driver¡¯s license was Washington DC resident Nic Sakurai. ¡°I was really excited to get a government identification that legitimized who I am, that made me feel included and that my government sees me.¡± Sakurai does not identify as either male or female and chooses to use the pronoun they/them.
* gender neutral = ¼ºÁ߸³ÀûÀÎ/ driver's license = ¿îÀü ¸éÇãÁõ/ go into effect = È¿·ÂÀÌ ¹ß»ýÇÏ´Ù, ¹ßÈ¿ÇÏ´Ù, ½Ç½ÃµÇ´Ù/ identify as ~ = ~¶ó°í ¹àÈ÷´Ù/ take effect = È¿·ÂÀ» ¹ßÈÖÇϱ⠽ÃÀÛÇÏ´Ù/ official document = °ø¹®¼­/ confirm = »ç½ÇÀÓÀ» º¸¿©ÁÖ´Ù[È®ÀÎÇØ ÁÖ´Ù]/ legitimize = ÇÕ¹ýÈ­ÇÏ´Ù; Á¤´çÈ­ÇÏ´Ù/ pronoun = ´ë¸í»ç

Unlike some countries, the United States does not have a national ID, so the driver¡¯s license is required for many uses. Sakurai said while some people might be confused when they see the ¡°X,¡± it can be a good way to educate about the issue. ¡°For me, it's the knowledge that I have the backing of my local government that they understand that there are more than two genders or sexes. And by displaying the document, I can use that to initiate a conversation.¡± One organization working closely with Washington DC officials on the change was the National Center for Transgender Equality. The group called the policy change a ¡°tremendous first step¡± in recognizing a growing part of the population. Mayor Muriel Bowser said the new policy is in keeping with Washington DC¡¯s commitment to improve rights for all members of the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning) community. ¡°The safety and well-being of all Washingtonians is my top priority,¡± she said in a statement. LGBTQ groups have said that allowing the ¡°X¡± option on official documents will help reduce discrimination and raise awareness of gender identity issues.
* unlike ~ = ~¿Í´Â ´Þ¸®/ backing = Áö¿ø/ display = ³»º¸ÀÌ´Ù; Àü½Ã[Áø¿­]ÇÏ´Ù/ initiate = °³½ÃÇÏ´Ù, Âø¼ö½ÃÅ°´Ù/ tremendous = ¾öû³­, ´ë´ÜÇÑ, ±²ÀåÇÑ/ step = (¾î¶² ¸ñÇ¥¸¦ ´Þ¼ºÇϱâ À§ÇÑ) ¿òÁ÷ÀÓ[°ÉÀ½/Á¶Ä¡]/ in keeping with ~ = ~¿Í ÀÏÄ¡[Á¶È­]ÇÏ¿©, ¾î¿ï·Á/ top priority = ÃÖ¿ì¼± »çÇ×/ discrimination = Â÷º°/ raise awareness of ~ = ~¿¡ ´ëÇÑ ÀǽÄÀ» °íÃë½ÃÅ°´Ù/ gender identity = ¼ºº° ÀνÄ[ÀÚ°¢]