Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Debate/Åä·Ð] (Q&A) Golden Week
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  19-03-12 11:18

Golden Week is such a lovely time to be in Japan. The weather is great and everyone is relaxed. There¡¯s a real holiday feeling all over the country. It¡¯s one of my favorite times of the year. The only downside is that the roads are full of traffic. You can spend hours stuck in traffic jams. So I usually stay at home and do things near my house. I love going on picnics in local parks. I¡¯m English so I find it really interesting to see how Japanese people have picnics. Very different from picnics in England. Many people have the whole week off work to celebrate the different holidays. The Emperor¡¯s birthday and Constitution Day are important and so is Greenery Day, but I like Children¡¯s Day. This is when Japanese parents do special things for their kids.
* a lovely time = Áñ°Å¿î ¶§[½Ã°£]/ downside = ºÒ¸®ÇÑ(´ú ±àÁ¤ÀûÀÎ) ¸é/ full of ~ = ~·Î °¡µæÂù/ stuck in traffic = ±³ÅëÀÌ ¸·Èù(Á¤Ã¼µÈ)°÷¿¡ ºüÁ®(²Ä¦ ¸øÇÏ´Â)/ off work = ÀÏÀ» ½¬°í ÀÖ´Â, °á±ÙÇÏ¿©/ emperor = ȲÁ¦/ Constitution Day = Á¦ÇåÀý/ Greenery Day = ³ì»öÀÇ ³¯

* Áú¹® * 

1. Take the train
The prices skyrocket and planes get booked well in advance. The highways are jam packed, so while buses might be the most affordable, they can take all day. Trains are also busy during the Golden Week but they tend to run on schedule, so travelling through trains is the most reliable option in the Golden Week.

2. Don¡¯t miss the events
The Golden Week is filled with events and festivals all around Japan, especially the Hamamatsu¡¯s kite fighting (May 3-5) or the Hakata Dontaku Festival (May 3-4)which is enjoyed by millions of Japanese. So go out there and have some fun

3. Organize a little get together or a party
Many Japanese people have plans and are busy in the Golden Week but close friends and relatives would love to join you at a BBQ party which is one of Japan¡¯s favorite fair weather parties.

4. Go SHOPPING!
Most of the time, you would see people hanging around shopping areas because there would always be Fairs and Discounts during this season. Open your eyes a little wider and search for some exciting discounts! After all, we are fast approaching Summer and we need a wardrobe update!

5. Hit up the local theater
The Golden Week is the busiest time of the year in the Japanese movie theaters and many of the biggest blockbusters are released in this week. You might find it hard to get a ticket but if you do get one, don¡¯t miss the chance because you¡¯re one of the lucky ones.

6. Rock out at a concert
Both big and small concert halls have packed schedules on Golden Week. So keep your eyes and ears open to keep track of what¡¯s planned in your area.

7. Explore, shoot and conquer
Grab your cameras and explore the city of Tokyo as half of the population seems to leave Tokyo in the Golden Week. That means museums, gardens and some popular restaurants will be yours to enjoy without rubbing elbows with the crowd.

8. Go out with family and friends
It is a custom in Japan for some popular sightseeing spots and attractions to offer free admission during Golden Week (or for a day during GW). These events are usually known as ¡®Family Days.¡¯ So go out with your friend and family members and spend some quality time together.

9. Children¡¯s Day
Kodomo no Hi (Children¡¯s Day on May 5th) is an exception in the Golden Week as it is not a Government holiday unlike the other holidays in this week (e.g. Constitution Day). Children¡¯s Day can be celebrated in Japan by visiting different Children¡¯s festivals which is loved by the Japanese kids all around Japan. See the beautiful carp lanterns called Koi Nobori being hung around everywhere in celebration of this day.

10. Get Away
Check out the beach, visit an onsen or hit the slopes as this week offers some of the very best weather in Japan. The typhoons are a month or two away, the snow has melted and the nature is just absolutely serene in this week. So go to an onsen or a beach and have some peaceful time in this chaotic Golden Week.