Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Essay/¿µÀÛ] (T-127) Is reading fiction more enjoyable than watching movies?
¶ö¶ó  |  12-07-09 18:50

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable than watching movies. Use specific reasons and examples to explain your position.

Most people enjoy fictional stories whether in the form of novels or movies. There are some that think that reading fiction is more enjoyable than watching movies while others have the opposite view. In my opinion, I think that watching movies is a lot more fun because when we watch a movie, we use more of our senses and modern filmmaking technology provides a more exciting experience than novels.
* fictional story = Ç㱸Àû À̾߱â, ¼Ò¼³ / enjoyable = Áñ°Å¿î, À¯ÄèÇÑ / opposite view = ¹Ý´ë¼³, ¹Ý´ë·Ð / modern filmmaking technology = Çö´ë ¿µÈ­Á¦ÀÛ ±â¼ú

To begin with, when we watch movies, we are entertained by using several of our senses; sight, hearing and even touch. Reading a novel only requires sight. I enjoy reading, but watching a movie allows me to experience the story in more ways. For example, I really enjoy watching horror movies because of the effects on several of my senses. First of all, a horror movie is scarier than a horror novel because I can see what is going on with my own eyes. In addition, the scar music adds to the tense mood of the story, and can stimulate the sense of touch by making my hair stand up and by sending a chill down my spine. A movie can make us feel like we are actually there, so it can affect our senses much more than a novel can.
* entertain = Áñ°Ì°Ô ÇØÁÖ´Ù, Á¢´ëÇÏ´Ù / sense = °¨°¢ / sight = ½Ã°¢ / horror movie = °øÆ÷ ¿µÈ­ / scary = ¹«¼­¿î, °Ì³ª´Â / tense = ±äÀåÇÑ / stimulate = ÀÚ±ØÇÏ´Ù / send a chill down = µî°ñÀ» ¿À½ÏÇÏ°Ô ÇÏ´Ù / spine = µî»À, ôÃß

Another reason why I prefer watching movies instead of reading fiction is because of the technological advancements that have been made in filmmaking. When people read a novel, they totally depend on their imagination to present the images in their mind. However, a movie can show us scenes that our minds might not be capable of visualizing. This is especially true with science fiction and fantasy movies. With advancements in technology, no concept is impossible to portray on film. We can see starships fighting in space, armies of monsters having a battle or people doing amazing acts of music. All these can be explained in books, but movies allow us to see and understand how big these events are through magnificent special effects.
* instead of = ~´ë½Å¿¡ / technological advancements = ±â¼ú¹ßÀü / depend on = ÀÇÁ¸ÇÏ´Ù / imagination = »ó»ó / be capable of = ~ÇÒ ¼ö ÀÖ´Ù / visualize = ´«¿¡ º¸ÀÌ°Ô ÇÏ´Ù, ¸¶À½¼Ó¿¡ ¶°¿Ã¸®´Ù / science fiction = °ø»ó°úÇÐ ¼Ò¼³ / portray = ¹¦»çÇÏ´Ù, Ç¥ÇöÇÏ´Ù / starship = ¿ìÁÖ¼± / army = ±º´ë / magnificent = Àå´ëÇÑ, ÈǸ¢ÇÑ, ¸ÚÁø

I love reading, but if I have to choose which is more enjoyable, I will have to choose watching movies. They stimulate and delight our senses, and modern filmmaking technology allows us to experience situations that we are incapable of visualizing in our minds. Reading fiction may be a good choice when we need a more quiet and intellectual form of entertainment, but for an exciting experience there is nothing like watching a good movie.
* delight = ±â»Ú°Ô ÇÏ´Ù / intellectual = Áö¼ºÀÇ , ÁöÀûÀÎ