Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Essay/¿µÀÛ] (T-141) Which do you prefer: one long vacation vs. several short vacation
¶ö¶ó  |  12-07-22 11:47

Some people believe that students should be given one long vacation each year. Others believe that students should have several short vacations throughout the year. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

People have long argued over whether it is better for students to take one long vacation each year or to take several short vacations throughout the year. Although the idea of a long vacation is very attractive, I believe that opting for several short breaks is better. This is because having frequent shorter breaks does not interfere with the much-needed concentration that students require, and having shorter breaks does not disturb the learning process and retention of material.
* throughout = ~ÀÇ Àüü¿¡ °ÉÃÄ / attractive = ¸Å·ÂÀûÀÎ, »ç¶÷À» ²ø¾î´ç±â´Â / frequent = ºó¹øÇÑ / interfere with  = ¹æÇØÇÏ´Ù / much-needed = ¸¹ÀÌ ÇÊ¿äÇÑ / disturb = ¹æÇØÇÏ´Ù, Èѹæ³õ´Ù / the learning process = ÇнÀ°úÁ¤ / retention = º¸À¯, ±â¾ï

Most importantly, having frequent breaks can help students relax and that will allow them to focus more on their studies. Students are heavily burdened throughout their academic careers. Of course, taking a long break for several months would be beneficial for helping them relax, but that is not enough. Only a few months after the vacation I would be tired again and looking forward to my next break, instead of focusing on the work that I have to do. However, when I was in university, each end of semester break afforded me the chance to relax and refresh myself for the following semester. These periodic breaks enabled me to stay fresh and focused on my work throughout my years in university.
* focus on = ~¿¡ ÁýÁßÇÏ´Ù / take up(=bear) a heavy burden = ¹«°Å¿î ÁüÀ» Áö´Ù / academic career = Çо÷ / be beneficial for = ~¿¡°Ô ÀÌ·Ó´Ù / looking forward to = ~À» ±â´ëÇÏ´Ù, Çмö°í´ëÇÏ´Ù / semester = Çбâ / afford = °¡´ÉÇÏ°Ô ÇÏ´Ù, ÁÖ´Ù, ¿©À¯°¡ ÀÖ´Ù / following = ´ÙÀ½ÀÇ / periodic =ÁÖ±âÀûÀÎ, Á¤±âÀûÀÎ

In addition, having several short vacations enables students to concentrate better and retain what they have retained. During the course of a semester, students are introduced to a lot of information. If students take one long summer vacation, they are more likely to forget material relevant to their studies. Their concentration on the subject matter can also be interrupted, and they might have a hard time getting back on track after a long vacation. However, several shorter breaks could help students retain what they have learned because they would be away from school for only brief periods and recall it better. Therefore, short breaks at the end of the semester allow students just enough time to relax without the risk of forgetting everything that they have learned in the prior semester.
* retain = º¸À¯ÇÏ´Ù, À¯ÁöÇÏ´Ù / be likely to = ~ÇÒ °Í °°´Ù, °³¿¬¼ºÀÌ ³ô´Ù / relevant to = °ü·ÃµÈ / nterrupt = ¹æÇØÇÏ´Ù, Áß´ÜÇÏ´Ù / get back on track = Á¤»óÀ¸·Î µ¹¾Æ¿À´Ù / brief = ªÀº, ´Ü½Ã°£ÀÇ / prior = ÀüÀÇ

Of course, the idea of a long vacation is a nice thought, and sometimes it may be necessary. However, I believe students should take several short breaks rather than a long single vacation. I base this judgment on the idea that frequent breaks will enable students to focus more on their studies, and with short breaks students will be less likely to forget what they previously learned.
* judgment = ÆÇ´Ü / previously = ÀÌÀü¿¡, ¹Ì¸®