Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Essay/¿µÀÛ] (T-143) Are advertisements not helpful in our lives?
¶ö¶ó  |  12-07-25 22:02

Some people say that advertisements are not helpful in our lives. Others say that advertisements are really helpful in our lives. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Businesses, large and small, are all trying to get us to try their products and they have found many ways to make themselves known to use through advertising. Some people say that all of this advertising is very helpful, but other people argue that the advertisements do not really supply many advantages. I tend to agree with the second opinion because I think advertisements are an annoyance to us in daily life and they do not really offer very much truthful information.
* advertising = ±¤°í / supply = °ø±ÞÇÏ´Ù, ÁÖ´Ù, ÃæÁ·½ÃÅ°´Ù / tend to = °æÇâÀÌ ÀÖ´Ù / annoyance = ±ÍÂúÀº °Í, ¼º°¡½É, °ñÄ¡ / daily life = ÀÏ»ó»ýÈ° / truthful = ÂüµÈ, Áø½ÇÇÑ

First of all, every day we are annoyed by the many advertisements that we see wherever we are. One of the things about advertising that I dislike is this. When I am walking down the street with my friends, salesclerks at shops blare out what they are selling. Besides, touts on the street are always shoving advertisements into my hands. These things constantly disturb us. Even at home we are bothered by advertisements. When I am watching a television show, commercials are constantly cutting into the program. It is very frustrating to have a show interrupted several times throughout the short period of time that it is on. In addition, the commercials often break my concentration because the show will stop and a commercial will come on just as I am getting into the story.
* be annoyed by = ¼º°¡½Ã´Ù, ±ÍÂú´Ù, È­°¡³ª´Ù / advertisement = ±¤°í / dislike = ½È¾îÇÏ´Ù / salesclerk = Á¡¿ø, ÆǸſø / blare out = Å« ¼Ò¸®·Î ¿ÜÄ¡´Ù, ÄçÄç ¿ï¸®´Ù / tout = (Á¦Ç°, ¼­ºñ½º)ÀÇ ±¤°í, È«º¸; ÀåÁ¡À» ¾Ë¸®´Ù / shove = ¹Ð¾îºÎÄ¡´Ù, ¾Æ¹«·¸°Ô³ª ³õ´Ù / constantly = Áö¼ÓÀûÀ¸·Î, ºó¹øÇÏ°Ô / be bothered by = ~¿¡ ½Ã´Þ¸®´Ù, ±«·ÓÈûÀ» ´çÇÏ´Ù / commercial = ÅÚ·¹ºñÀü, ¶óµð¿À µîÀÇ ±¤°í¹æ¼Û / cut into = ³¢¾îµé´Ù, Âü°ßÇÏ´Ù / frustrating = ÁÂÀý°¨À» ÁÖ´Â, Àý¸ÁÀûÀÎ

Another reason why advertisements are not very helpful is that commercials often make false claims or tell you misleading information. It is not a good idea to believe everything that we see in advertising. For example, my mother once bought a set of cooking knives that she saw in a commercial. The commercial showed the knives slicing through meat like it was hot butter, but once she received the knives through the mail, she found that the knives had not been sharpened at all. The advertisement did not say that the knives came unsharpened and that you have to have it sharpened on your own. The commercials seem to tell you only enough information to get you to buy the product.
* make a claim = ¿ä±¸ÇÏ´Ù, ÁÖÀåÇÏ´Ù, Ŭ·¹ÀÓÀ» ³»³õ´Ù / misleading = À߸ø ÀεµÇÏ´Â / slice = ¾ã°Ô º£´Ù, ³ª´©´Ù / sharpen = ³¯Ä«·Ó°Ô ÇÏ´Ù

In conclusion, I understand why businesses want us to know about their products. However, the advertisements are not very helpful in our lives. They are a constant interruption whether at home or outside. In addition, the commercials often give us wrong information, or misleading information, so they cannot really be trusted. Companies should reevaluate the way they present information to the public.
* helpful = µµ¿òÀÌ µÇ´Â, À¯¿ëÇÑ / interruption = ¹æÇØ,Èѹæ / reevaluate = ÀçÆò°¡ÇÏ´Ù / public = ´ëÁß, ÀÏ¹Ý »ç¶÷µé