Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Essay/¿µÀÛ] (T-163) Does borrowing money form a friend harm to friendship?
¶ö¶ó  |  12-08-13 11:54

It is sometimes said that borrowing money from a friend can harm or damage the friendship. Do you agree or disagree? Use reasons and specific examples to explain your answer.

People constantly overestimate the depth of personal relationships when money enters into the equation. Many people may debate this point, arguing that true friendship should be strong enough to withstand any undue influence. However, as people become more self-centered and shallow I believe that borrowing money from a friend can only harm or irrevocably damage a friendship. Borrowing money from friends is a bad idea since friendships are generally based on trust and familiarity, something that is destroyed by borrowing money.
* constantly = °è¼Ó, Áö¼ÓÇؼ­ / overestimate = °ú´ëÆò°¡ÇÏ´Ù / depth = ±íÀÌ / personal relationships = °³ÀÎÀû Àΰ£°ü°è / equation = (¿©·¯°¡Áö ¿ä¼ÒµéÀ» °í·ÁÇØ¾ß ÇÏ´Â) »óȲ, ¹®Á¦ / debate = Åä·ÐÇÏ´Ù, ÅäÀÇÇÏ´Ù / true friendship = ÂüµÈ ¿ìÁ¤ / withstand = °ßµð´Ù, À̰ܳ»´Ù / undue influence = ºÎ´ç À§¾Ð / self-centered = ÀÚ±â Áß½ÉÀÇ, À̱âÀûÀÎ / shallow = ¾èÀº, ÇÇ»óÀûÀÎ / irrevocably = º¯°æÇÒ ¼ö ¾ø°Ô / familiarity = Àͼ÷ÇÔ, Ä£±ÙÇÔ

First, borrowing money from a friend can destroy the trust that has been built up. Friendship is built on trust of a complete stranger, something very different from family relationships. These relationships are generally very fragile, regardless of whether they have been build up over several years. The trust in a friendship can be destroyed in a single instance of a broken promise to repay money that was borrowed. Even the reason for borrowing the money in the first place may destroy the trust between friends. For example, in high school I lent money to someone I had considered a friend. I later found out that they had simply preferred to spend someone else's money for lunch rather than their own.
* destroy = Æı«ÇÏ´Ù / trust = ½Å·Ú / a complete stranger = ÀüÇô ¸ð¸£´Â »ç¶÷ / family relationships = °¡Á·°ü°è / fragile = ±úÁö±â ½¬¿î, ºÎ¼­Áö±â ½¬¿î / regardless of = ~¿¡ »ó°ü¾øÀÌ, °ü°è¾øÀÌ / broken promise = Æľà, ±úÁø ¾à¼Ó / repay = °±´Ù, »óȯÇÏ´Ù / in the first place = ¿ì¼±, óÀ½¿¡, ¸Ç ù°·Î / find out = ¾Ë°Ô µÇ´Ù  

Second, borrowing money from a friend can destroy the familiarity between both people. I had previously borrowed money from a college friend to pay my rent after being laid off. The next day my friend began to pester me a minimum of four times a day about getting paid back. I began to feel that $400 was more important to my friend than my ability to stay at university. After a week of being almost stalked I felt so awkward around my friend that I simply borrowed money from my parents to pay him back. After getting a new job a week later, I found I had little interest in staying friends simply because I felt to awkward with my previous friend. My friend eventually picked up on this and we both began to avoid each other, no longer friends.
* previously = ÀÌÀü¿¡, ¹Ì¸® / rent = Áý¼¼, ÀÓÂ÷·á / lay off = ÇØ°íÇÏ´Ù / pester = ¼º°¡½Ã°Ô ÇÏ´Ù, ±«·ÓÈ÷´Ù, Á¶¸£´Ù / pay back = °±´Ù, µ¹·ÁÁÖ´Ù / stalk = ÂÑ¾Æ´Ù´Ï¸ç ±«·ÓÈ÷´Ù, ½ºÅäÅ·ÇÏ´Ù / awkward = °ï¶õÇÑ, ºÒÆíÇÑ, Èûµç / eventually = °á±¹ / pick up on = ¾Ë¾ÆÂ÷¸®´Ù, ÀÌÇØÇÏ´Ù / avoid = ÇÇÇÏ´Ù

In short, while people may occasionally need to borrow money to cover unexpected expenses, I believe that borrowing money from a friend is an extremely poor idea. Borrowing money from a friend can destroy the mutual trust that has been built up and make both people feel awkward rather than comfortable with each other.
* occasionally = °¡²û, ¶§¶§·Î / unexpected expense = ¿¹»ó ¹ÛÀÇ ºñ¿ë / extremely = ±Ø´ÜÀûÀ¸·Î / mutual trust = »óÈ£ ½Å·Ú