Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
[Essay/¿µÀÛ] (T-165) Which type of class do you prefer: lecture vs talking
¶ö¶ó  |  12-08-14 14:41

Some students like classes where teachers lecture (do all of the talking) in class. Other students prefer classes where the students do some of the talking. Which type of class do you prefer? Give specific reasons and details to support your choice.

There are different kinds of teachers with different styles. Some students prefer classes where the teacher lectures the whole time. On the other hand, there are other students who like classes where they can do some of the talking. Although they both are beneficial depending on the class, I prefer classes that are more student-oriented, which gives students a chance to talk. I think a class that allows students to talk is more effective for learning, and involvement in what is said makes it more interesting.
* beneficial = À¯ÀÍÇÑ / depend on = ~¿¡ ÀÇÁ¸ÇÏ´Ù, ´Þ·ÁÀÖ´Ù (=count on, rely on) / oriented = ~Áß½ÉÀÇ, ~À» ÁöÇâÇÏ´Â / chance = ±âȸ / effective = È¿°úÀûÀÎ, È¿À²ÀûÀÎ / involvement = ¸ôµÎ, ¿­Áß, °ü¿©

One reason that I prefer classes where students can talk is that a student-oriented class is a more effective way to learn. When we sit in a class listening to a lecture and taking notes, we are involved in only recording information and are not really listening. For that reason, we often forget what was said as soon as we leave the classroom. However, if students take an active part of the class, they can concentrate more on what is being said and rarely forget as quickly. The classes that I took in school where the teachers lectured made no imprint in my memory, but the classes where the teachers encouraged us to share our views and opinions still remain in my mind today. That is a much more effective method of learning nearly any subject.
* lecture = °­ÀÇ, °­¿¬ / take notes = ¸Þ¸ðÇÏ´Ù, ±â·ÏÇÏ´Ù / be involved in = ~¿¡ ¸ôµÎÇÏ´Ù / record = ±â·ÏÇÏ´Ù, Àû¾îµÎ´Ù / for that reason = ±×·¯ÇÑ ±î´ß¿¡, ±×·¯ÇÑ ÀÌÀ¯·Î / as soon as = ~ÇÏÀÚ¸¶ÀÚ, °ð / concentrate on = ÁýÁßÇÏ´Ù / rarely = °ÅÀÇ ~ÇÏÁö ¾Ê´Ù (=hardly, barely, seldom) / imprint = °¢ÀÎ, ÀÚ±¹ / encourage = °Ý·ÁÇÏ´Ù, ¿ë±â¸¦ ºÏµ¸¿ì´Ù

Another reason is that a student-oriented class is more interesting than lectures because students are involved. I have been in a lot of classes where the teachers do all the talking. I found the lectures very dull, just sitting and listening to the opinions of one person whether I agreed or disagreed with what the teacher was saying. However, in a class where students are asked to speak out and express what they think about the subject, it is possible to hear a wide variety of opinions. Sometimes, heated debates occur and that makes learning more interesting. Hence, attending a student-oriented class would be much more interesting than listening to a prepared lecture and taking notes about what one person believes. It is better to hear what other students say in order to broaden our perspective of the subject matter.
* dull = µûºÐÇÑ, Àç¹Ì¾ø´Â / speak out = ¸»ÇÏ´Ù, ¹àÈ÷´Ù / express = Ç¥ÇöÇÏ´Ù / subject = ÁÖÁ¦, °ú¸ñ / a wide variety of = ¸Å¿ì ´Ù¾çÇÑ / heated debates = ¿­¶í Åä·Ð / hence = µû¶ó¼­, ±×·¯¹Ç·Î / attend = Âü¿©ÇÏ´Ù, Âü¼®ÇÏ´Ù, ´Ù´Ï´Ù / broaden = ³Ð¾îÁö´Ù, ³ÐÈ÷´Ù / perspective = °üÁ¡, ½Ã°¢

To sum up, lectures are more appropriate in some cases, but I prefer classes where students are encouraged to talk. When I am able to speak in class, I feel that the class is more effective and more interesting. For those reasons, teachers should make an effort to actively include students in their classes.
* to sum up = ¿ä¾àÇؼ­, °á±¹ / appropriate = ÀûÀýÇÑ, Àû´çÇÑ / make an effort = ³ë·ÂÇÏ´Ù / actively = È°¹ßÈ÷, È°µ¿ÀûÀ¸·Î