Headlines Speaking
Debate/Åä·Ð Essay/¿µÀÛ
Àΰ­°úÁ¤ Misc
ÀÚ·á½Ç
WTS ½ÃÇ躸±â
(Slang) All about names (2)
ÃÖ°í°ü¸®ÀÚ  |  12-01-06 16:02

At that moment, Joe Blow was walking down the street with a woman. Joe Blow is also an expression for a common man. Now this Joe Blow was NOT walking next to a plain Jane. A plain Jane is a woman who is neither ugly nor pretty. She is simply plain. No, the woman with Joe Blow was a real Sheila – a beautiful woman.
* Joe Blow = º¸Åë ½Ã¹Î, ¾Æ¹«°³/ a plain Jane = Æò¹üÇÏ°Ô »ý±ä ¿©ÀÚ/ Sheila = ¾Æ¸§´Ù¿î ¿©ÀÚ

Average Joe asked the woman if all banks were closed on Saturday. ¡°No way, Jose,¡± she answered. This is a way of saying ¡°no.¡± ¡°No way, Jose. Many banks are open on Saturdays.¡±
* No way, Jose = Àý´ë·Î ¾ÈµÅ!

Average Joe did not know either of these two people from Adam. That is, he did not know them at all. But he followed their directions to the nearest bank.
* not know A from Adam = A¸¦ ÀüÇô ¸ð¸£´Ù

When he arrived, he walked to the desk of the chief bank employee. Now this man was a true Jack of all trades. He knew how to do everything.
* Jack of all trades = ¹«¾ùÀ̵çÁö ÇÏ´Â »ç¶÷, Æȹæ¹ÌÀÎ

¡°I am here to withdraw some money so I can pay my taxes to Uncle Sam,¡± said average Joe. Uncle Sam represents the United States government. The banker produced some papers and told average Joe to sign his John Hancock at the bottom. A John Hancock is a person¡¯s signed name – a signature. Historically, John Hancock was one of the signers of the United States Declaration of Independence. Hancock had a beautiful signature and signed his name larger than all the others.
* Uncle Sam = ¹Ì±¹ Á¤ºÎ/ John Hancock = (´©±¸ÀÇ) ¼­¸í

As average Joe left the bank he began to sing. But sadly, average Joe was not a good singer. He was a Johnny One Note. He could only sing one note.
* Johnny-One-Note = ½Ã¾ß°¡ Á¼Àº »ç¶÷, ÇÑ °¡Áö¹Û¿¡ »ý°¢ÇÏÁö ¾Ê´Â ³²ÀÚ